1875

1895

J.D. Jewett and W.C. Vaughan form partnership as J.D. Jewett & Co.

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1900

1902

J.D. Jewett and W.C. Vaughan incorporate as the J.D. Jewett Co., successor to J.D. Jewett & Co.

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1909

Jewett and Vaughan split; the J.D. Jewett Co. changes its name to the W.C. Vaughan Co.

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1925

1926

W.C. Vaughan acquires building at 3–7 Havervill, which houses its forge, foundry, manufacturing, and shipping departments

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1927

St. Philip’s Episcopal Church

Charleston, SC

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1927–1938

c. 1933–1941

Stafford Vaughan joins Ostrander & Eshleman, solidifying partnership with the W.C. Vaughan Co.

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

c. 1937

Under Elmer Pratt’s direction, W.C. Vaughan Co. introduces Lucite door pulls

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1938

W.C. Vaughan provides hardware for Life Magazine’s “Life Houses”

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1939

New York World’s Fair, the “World of Tomorrow”; W.C. Vaughan supplies hardware for exhibitions including the Argentine Pavilion and Gropius and Breuer’s Pennsylvania State Exhibition

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1940

Plastics, 1940

Exhibition organized by Robert Woods Kennedy at the Boston Institute of Modern Art

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

c. 1942

W.C. Vaughan manufactures torpedo parts for the war effort.

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1943

Walter Vaughan retires; divides shares in W.C. Vaughan between Stafford Vaughan and Elmer Pratt

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1950

1951

W.C. Vaughan loses 1 Haymarket Square to eminent domain; moves to 32 Pitts Street

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1952

St. Mary’s - The Morning Star Church

Pittsfield, MA

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1952

1957

The Boston Redevelopment Authority forces W.C. Vaughan’s move from Pitts Street

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1960

The Oldest House (González-Alvarez House)

St. Augustine, FL

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1960

1964

Stafford Vaughan retires; Elmer Pratt becomes president of W.C. Vaughan

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1965

National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton

Emmitsburg, MD

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1965

1965

St. Matthew’s German Evangelical Lutheran Church

Charleston, SC

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

1965

1975

1987

Elmer’s nephew Glenn Albert Pratt acquires the W.C. Vaughan Co. from Redstone Modern and re-starts the business in Braintree, Mass.

The W.C. Vaughan Co., Manufacturer

2000

Architectural Hardware
Historical Collections
Furnishings
Lighting
Manufacturers
Designers
History
Media
Resources
Distributors
Store
Events
Contact
© E.R. Butler & Co. All Rights Reserved.